Sunday, July 4, 2010

Reflections on South Africa







As we prepare to leave South Africa, I thought I would share some of my thoughts about the trip, both good and bad.
This is an amazing place with wild animals allowed to roam free. Although it seems weird to say they roam free when in reality it is within very large protected game reserves that they thrive without the threat of poachers and other human predators. Elephants, giraffes, zebras, rhinos, and more were breathtaking to see close up and living in herds and in a natural environment.
The people here are a strange mix. Poverty seems rampant, as evidenced by the numerous “shanty” towns and villages we saw while driving along the highways. Yet at the next turn of the road, a mansion appears with tall block walls and security gates that are state of the art. I will say though, we have met some of the most helpful and friendly people in the world here.
We visited several different towns and areas of the country and by far I liked Cape Town the best. It is a beautiful city set amongst mountains and bordered by the ocean. It is fun, vibrant, and has a lot to offer. The Northern part of the country was less appealing, with dusty roads, constant smoke in the air from people burning fires to keep warm, and dry brown farmlands everywhere you looked. I have to add that driving on the left side of the road is very difficult and could do without that experience again.
My favorite part of the trip was the soccer games (of course that was the main reason for this trip). They were so exciting and it was awesome to see all the crazy (and I mean CRAZY) fans yelling and screaming for their teams. It was almost like Halloween with all the costumes and outfits people came up with to wear. It is amazing how loved the game of soccer is worldwide. Besides, how many people can brag they were at the World Cup game that Paris Hilton got arrested at for marijuana use?
So, would I do it all over again? Yes I would with a few 20/20 hindsight revisions in accommodation and travel arrangements. Will I ever visit South Africa again? Not Johannesburg and the Northern part, but given the right opportunity I would most assuredly visit Cape Town in the future. Would I attend another World Cup? Brazil 2014- here we come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment