Sunday, June 20, 2010

First Soccer Game



What an awesome, phenomenal experience we had!! Attending a soccer game with 84,000 plus crazy fans from around the world is quite memorable. At first we were not sure how we were going to get to the game and not get lost in the bowels of Joburg, but then our concierge at the hotel hooked us up a ride with five gentleman from Argentina and we rode there and back in comfort and safety.
Soccer City stadium looms like an alien mother ship as you approach it from the pedestrian walkway, all lit up and ready for game time. Fans pouring in wearing brightly colored outfits, faces painted, wigs in a variety of colors and shapes, and hats that make Del Mar look tame. You name it, someone was wearing it if it had their team colors on it!
Game on and it was non-stop screaming, singing, and vuvuzela horn blowing. Of course I had to have one, and now we are the proud owners of a bright yellow vuvuzela. Roger promptly played out a nice tune on it and I tried but it came out sounding like a captured animal being tortured. Maybe by the next game I will be better if I practice!
The play was exciting to say the least and Brazil came out ahead 3-1 causing the Brazilian fans to overload on noise and dancing as we left the stadium en mass.
Back at the hotel, it is a glass of red wine and off to bed for a very tired couple of soccer fans.
Next stop Rustenburg to see Mexico vs Uruguay. Who knows, I may go totally crazy and paint the Mexican flag on my face! See you there....

No comments:

Post a Comment