Sunday, June 20, 2010

Johannesburg Day One



Greetings form Johannesburg, South Africa!! After 36 hours of travel, four countries, five security checks, and 3 passport custom points we arrived exhausted and tired. Walking through the airport, the colorful array of soccer fans with their vuvuzelas (horns), banners, and team jerseys, it hits me just how crazy this vacation is going to be!!
Rental car accomplished, I take the first go at left side driving to try and find our bed and breakfast. Look out Joburg! I managed to get us to the B&B without killing us and only got honked at once or twice, although I think Roger was feeling a little faint with my swerving all over trying to stay on the left hand side, shift with my left hand, and all the u-turns I had to make. Unfortunately, when we arrived at our pre-paid accommodation it was still under construction and not inhabitable. By this point we have not had any decent sleep for 40 hours and our frayed nerves unraveled a little more.
We called the F.I.F.A association whom we had booked the room through and decided to drive back to the airport to wait for them to call us back. Three stressful hours later (I kept having recurring visions of having to sleep in our rental car in the airport parking lot, Tom Hanks style), F.I.F.A called us back and the only thing they could find for us was a suite at the Inter-Continental 5 star Hotel, but because it was not our fault they would cover the extra cost. Turns out to be the absolutely nicest hotel I have ever stayed in, the suite is totally decked out fancy and larger than our condo, and costs $2000.00/night regular rate!! SCORE!!!
Hotel secure, we now turn our thoughts to our first soccer game later tonight. Brazil vs Cote d'Ivoire. It is a sea of green and yellow jerseys, scarfs, and banners everywhere we walk. For now though I need some quiet time ( maybe the hotel spa, hmmmmm??).
Stay tuned.......

1 comment:

  1. Well, you picked a great first game, that was fun to watch! That guy totally faked getting hit in the face by the Brazilian guy that got kicked out. I recorded it from a satellite feed so I could go back and try to find you in the crowd. What a great deal on your hotel, maybe you're just lucky this trip. Did you get one of those horns?

    ReplyDelete