Today we left the city of Johannesburg to head to Rustenburg for a couple of days. We were not sure where we would spend the night as our original plans had changed, but Roger's friend Adam who is staying in Rustenburg talked with his B&B hosts about securing us a room. They did not have anything available, but knew of a possible room at their sister's house in which we could stay. So, faith in hand and a rented GPS to guide us, off we drove on what was supposed to be a short 1.5 hour drive.
Never trust a GPS we soon discovered when the road it took us on was barely paved, with a severe left side shoulder drop off, and signs stating "Hijack area, beware" every 500 feet! On we drove through dusty shanty towns, past the very spooky looking reptile house, dodging people walking all over the road, and trying not to collide with passing trucks in both directions. I keep thinking to myself "this is it, I hope my children know how much I love them"!!
A higher being was watching over us though, and 3 hours later as we pulled up in front of the B&B we were greeted with hugs from complete strangers (whom we now call friends)and as a cold beer was trust into my hand, I was beyond tears.
The sister's home/B&B were they had arranged stay for us could not be any nicer. Well decorated rooms, a beautiful walled garden area, huge claw foot tub with lavender bath salts and lotions, heated mattress on the bed, and a welcoming bottle of wine. I think I have died and now am in heaven!
Last night we went out to a local bar with Roger's friends, ate escargot, laughed, and watched soccer. Tonight we attend our next game between Mexico and Uruguay. It should be an exciting one and could decide which of those teams makes it to the next round. The guys want to kick a soccer ball around before the game and they are adamant that I join them. Hopefully tomorrow's blog does not contain an injury report!!
No comments:
Post a Comment